Central Florida is home to a diverse range of butterfly species, and creating a butterfly garden is an excellent way to attract these beautiful creatures to your outdoor space. When it comes to selecting the best plants to attract butterflies in central Florida, there are several options available that are both beautiful and effective.
Here are some of the best plants and flowers to consider for your butterfly garden, offered by Traveling Trees Garden Center:
- Milkweed (Asclepias): This plant is a must-have for any butterfly garden, as it is the sole food source for monarch butterfly caterpillars. It also attracts a variety of other butterfly species with its sweet scent and colorful flowers.
- Lantana (Lantana camara): This drought-tolerant plant produces clusters of bright, multi-colored flowers that attract butterflies and other pollinators. It is easy to care for and can grow up to 6 feet tall.
- Pentas (Pentas lanceolata): With its clusters of pink, red, and white flowers, pentas is a popular choice for attracting butterflies to the garden. It is also a great option for container gardening.
- Butterfly weed (Asclepias tuberosa): This plant produces bright orange flowers that attract butterflies and other pollinators. It is also a low-maintenance plant that thrives in central Florida’s hot, sunny climate.
- Salvia (Salvia spp.): This plant produces long spikes of purple, blue, or red flowers that attract a variety of butterflies and hummingbirds. It is also drought-tolerant and can grow up to 3 feet tall.
- Blanket flower (Gaillardia pulchella): This plant produces vibrant red and yellow flowers that are a favorite of many butterfly species. It is also a low-maintenance plant that thrives in full sun.
When creating your butterfly garden, it is important to choose a variety of plants that bloom at different times throughout the year to provide a continuous food source for butterflies. It is also important to avoid using pesticides, as they can harm butterflies and other beneficial insects.
Traveling Trees Garden Center can provide you with these and many other plants to create your own butterfly garden in Central Florida. They can also offer advice and expertise to help you design and maintain your garden. With a little planning and some carefully selected plants, you can create a beautiful outdoor space that attracts these fascinating creatures to your yard.